Guinea Pig Igloos will help your pet feel safe and secure
A safe and secure hideaway is one of the most important and basic needs of your guinea pig regardless of its guinea pig breed. Guinea pigs can be active both night and day, but for times when they become nervous and may be a little startled or scared, they need a safe hideout. A Guinea Pig Igloo is the perfect hideout in their playpen that they can run into to feel safe.
The Guinea Pig Igloo like the one by Kaytee Super Pet is definitely one of the best options. It’s lightweight, convenient, and is available in many different sizes to fit your cavy. You can simply place your furry little friend inside the Guinea Pig Igloo and watch as she (or he) makes itself right at home. Guinea pigs love their Guinea pig Igloos so much so that they oftentimes move things inside. Sometimes they drag Timothy hay or their favorite guinea pig toy inside the igloo so they can munch or play while relaxing inside their hideout spot.
This hideaway is also great for sleeping in or sitting on top of as if they’re the king (or queen) of the jungle!
Guinea Pig Igloos will give your piggy some alone time
Guinea pigs are social creatures, but like people, sometimes they just want to be alone in their own room in their guinea pig cage. The Guinea Pig Igloo gives them this private space and, since it’s made of clear plastic, you can still see them and tell if they’re just hanging out and relaxing or maybe even have fallen asleep!
Some good things about the Guinea Pig Igloo
- Easy to access your pet: In case you would like to get to your cavy, simply lift up the Guinea Pig Igloo and viola! Your pet will have their own little space in which to feel safe, yet it also offers you easy access to them.
- Good space: Despite the fact that the entry to the Super Pet Igloo is small, the inside area is pretty huge for the animal.
- Ventilation: It contains air holes in the roof to support air circulation. This means that your furry little creature gets adequate ventilation and doesn’t get too hot.
- Long-lasting shelter: The Guinea Pig Igloo is durable and supports a good amount of use and misuse. Some pocket pets like to munch, so they’ll ruin it sooner or later, but the majority of them will take months, or even years, before you need to replace this hideaway.
- Easy to Clean: Sometimes piggies can be a little messy and pee on their hideaways. Luckily the Guinea Pig Igloo is manufactured from easy-to-clean plastic. When it sets out to get messy, simply scrub it using hot water to restore it to good condition.
Some not-so-good things about the Guinea Pig Igloo
- It’s lightweight: this is actually a good thing, but a few guinea pigs might take advantage of this hideaway’s low weight and decide it’s more fun to flip it over than to nap in it. Some guinea pigs do this by ‘popcorning’ in it. This may be fun to watch!
Where can I buy the Guinea Pig Igloo? How many should I get?
You can get this guinea pig cage accessory right here on Guinea Pig Heaven!
If your animals get along well, you may find a way to manage with only one igloo that is big enough inside for both creatures. Otherwise, buy two of them in size ‘Medium’ when you have the space. This will help you avoid any conflicts if they end up arguing over who can be in there alone.
Keep in mind that, when you purchase a cage, make sure that you buy the biggest possible model. Or else, think about building your own cage to give your furry friends enough space to roam. Big cages also allow you to add two or more guinea pig igloos and other toys like the Edible Activity Log.
Do you have a Guinea Pig Igloo? How do your guinea pigs like it? Let us know!
photo credits: Joey Yee and Sarah Bell on Flickr